RE: Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives

The Apache documentation certainly recommends against granting network
access to the local System account. I don't know why MS thought to add
that bit -- maybe they were just being thorough.

As for my other remark, it was a bit confused -- sorry. From experience
I know that I can't get a resource from a file server using an http
protocol. That is,
won't work unless other_machine has an http service running.

Likewise,
won't work, at least not for a W3C compliant browser, because the file:
protocol is not supposed to allow access over a network. This is where I
think IE bends the rules.

I haven't tried either formulation lately though.

To answer your earlier question about the error message I was seeing, it
appears in the browser, and it reads (for example):

"The requested URL /library/Documentation/Doc_home.html was not found on
this server."