Re: Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Dragon wrote:
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Jim Owens wrote:
I just set up Apache 2.2.4 on a Windows XP system (from the current
.msi), and I thought I’d share my findings about using mapped network
drives.

If anyone else is trying to deal with this, one workaround is to turn
the Apache service off and run httpd.exe in a command-prompt window
instead. That worked for me. I’ve added the httpd.exe to my
startup folder.

It may also work if you change the dependencies of the service to wait to
start until windows networking is started.  This may simply be a race
condition where networking share components don't finish starting before
apache gets that far.

If what William states is in fact what is going on, you could probably
still use Apache as a service if you start it manually instead of
letting it start automatically.

Change the service properties from automatic to manual and then start it
from the service window after you are sure the network is functioning.

Nice test case, yes!

I have just tried to replicate this, and when you use the mapped network drives, or other media that is dis-connectable (USB, FlashMedia etc) Apache throws up errors in the errorlog. In so much that is alias is "ignored" and you generate a standard 404 error. "[Thu Jun 07 22:49:46 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist......"

That is if you use a <Directory> block. If you use a <Location> block instead the error is no longer recorded. Even with LogLevel debug enabled.

However if you replace the mapped drive letter with the full UNC path it works just fine. i.e.

Alias /myuncpath "//server1.example.com/folder1/folder2/youruncpath"

<Directory "//server1.example.com/folder1/folder2/youruncpath"
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
Options indexes
</Directory>

I have just tested this option, and it works fine with 2.2.4, 2.2.3, and 2.0.59. On Windows XP, and Windows 2000

Jim, you also say you get an error "the Aliased resource was not found on the server." where are you seeing that exactly? In the errorlog?