need to alter FROM address when sending with PHP forms

My company has a RH ES4 web server running apache/2.2.2 and PHP 5.1.4.
Our PHP programmer has developed quite a few PHP email forms and each
time an email is sent, the FROM: address is
apache-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I don't know if this is a PHP
problem or apache problem (or even a sendmail problem for that matter)
so I am asking both lists for help. I have tried lookup up apache docs
and PHP docs to alter the FROM: address to no avail. No matter what I
and my programmer try in PHP or apache the from address stays coming
from the user apache runs as @webserver.domain.com (obviously I mean
the FQDN of the server). We would like to be able to alter the FROM:
address per form as we should be able to do in PHP. If there is an
apache fix for this any help would be appreciated. If this is
definitely NOT an apache problem, please let me know and I will move
on from there. Thank you.

Dylan