Re: Advice on Migrating from Netscape to Apache

Folks,

still scratching my head over this one so any assistance appreciated.

Got the forward proxy running fine and secured, although ideally I'd like to have an 'Order Deny, Allow' type directive to block all but a few define external sites.

All 'standard' requests work but it's still the items that need URL transforms that are killing me :(

I'm currently pondering whether I could set up separate Virtual Hosts (as per comment in Nick Kew's "Running a Reverse Proxy in Apache" guide, one forward proxy and one 'webserver'.

I'm theorising that the 'webserver' VH could listen on a particular port for a defined address, eg

<VirtualHost www.foo.com:8999>
DocumentRoot /www/foo
ServerName www.foo.com

# Other directives here, presumably either a RewriteRule or a Redirect?

</VirtualHost>

However, I'm unsure as to whether the above VH could then use the 'forward' VH to get to its intended destination?

I'm working through scenarios as carefully as I can but I'm new to Apache and I'm not sure whether the theory is wrong or whether I'm just getting the syntax and implementation wrong.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Mik

On 22/03/07, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:31:21 +0000
"Mik F" <mik.foggin@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

> Any ideas?

I'm sure you could harness the reverse proxying capabilities.
But I'm not going to think through how just now.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/