Re: Advice on Migrating from Netscape to Apache

On 22/03/07, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:44:04 +0000
"Mik F" <mik.foggin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Netscape Proxy Server has a simple interface for managing URL mappings
> so that, for instance, URL Prefix (from client) http://foo maps to
> (proxy will use this) https://prefix.foo.suffix

As does Apache.  But that's connected to reverse proxying.
See http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

> (eg from Apache Documentation:)
>
>   Forward Proxy

Can you explain why you need to remap URLs in a forward proxy?
Where do the bad URLs originate?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Nick,

it's historical really. We have a series of back end appliactions
which need to get 3rd party authorisation, eg for transactions / user
authentication.

When first written it was't possible to do this directly via https so
the proxy was put in place to manage all (https) connections from the
applications to and from the 3rd party sites.

There is also some hard coding (wince...) of URLS which it has been
possible to manage by using the mapping functionality within Netscape
Proxy Server.

Whilst I'm working on the migration of the servers and can flag 'bad
practice' elsewhere I effectively have to replace like for like so
can't go to the app support team to get them to 'fix' their 'broken'
code :)

Not ideal, but that's the situation I'm in.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mik
--