Advice on Migrating from Netscape to Apache

Hi,

we're (finally) looking to migrate from Netscape to Apache but there
are a couple of areas that I'm having problems with that I'm hoping
someone can give me some gentle guidance on.

We use Netscape Proxy Server 3.5 to manage requests from client
applications (rather than client browser) to external 3rd party sites,
sometime over https.

Netscape Proxy Server has a simple interface for managing URL mappings
so that, for instance, URL Prefix (from client) http://foo maps to
(proxy will use this) https://prefix.foo.suffix

I've been digging around and I think I need to do two things to
replicate this behaviour using Apache:

(eg from Apache Documentation:)

 Forward Proxy
 ProxyRequests On
 ProxyVia On
 <Proxy *>
 Order deny,allow
 Deny from all
 Allow from internal.example.com
 </Proxy>

This should allow the client applications to get out through the
firewall, but the addresses they use will fail, so ...

first thoughts were that ProxyPass would be my friend but it looks
like this is for mapping internal paths to fully qualified URI
_incoming_ from external clients to the _Reverse_ Proxy?

Second thoughts were that I should then use mod_rewrite to trap and
handle the outbound requests but I'm at a oss how this would fit
within the ProxyRequests directive, or how I would the resolve the

I'm not averse to do doing some legwork but a few pointers to set me
down the correct path would be higely appreciated,

cheers,

Mik