Re: Stripping white space from HTML

> Have you used mod_security yourself?
yes I can say that the code is extremely well written, and that the
project as a whole has gained critical acclaim. If you are _not_ using
it, do - it's very useful. The idea is to gain control over a
problematic and complex application/codebase by modifying the IO stream
to prevent many threats such as XSS, code release, SQL injection etc..
Well worth a look, it is as complex as the collective understanding of
threats is, and allows you to react "intelligently" to new threats you
(or it) sees in your logs. The "Cool Rules" project which has a
recording out at the moment.
http://www.modsecurity.org/projects/coolRules/index.html

Sounds really good.  It is tough to set up?  Do you think it's
removewhitespace would solve my problem?

>> AddOutputFilter DEFLATE pl
>
> I did add this to httpd.conf.  How can I tell if it's working and are
> there any drawbacks to using it?
Well this just adds the additional step of allowing Apache to implement
compression. Often resulting in as much as 90% drop in markup bytes, so
include file extensions that contain markup, such as css and js. I have
also used compression by default for 4 years with not issues. If the
browser sends
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
header then Apache will respond in kind. Your browser will uncompress
the output so you won't notice anything different about your source code
but if you run a proxy, this will report the stream a gzip or whatever,
so you will only be able to read the markup in the proxy logs/packet
sniffer if it has been decompressed. As for telling it is working the
response headers will contain
Vary: User-Agent,Accept-Encoding
most likely, and the bytes served will be much smaller than you are used to.

OK I have:

AddOutputFilter DEFLATE html css

- Grant