Re: Stripping white space from HTML

As I understand it, the reason why you wish the whitespace to be reduced
is so you look at the source within your browser, and that you plan to
use mod_deflate later ro reduce bandwidth (which is surely not too much
of a problem - it's probably equivalent to resampling a few of your
images by 5% here and there, or optimising your caching!), but you can't
reduce the whitespace inside your application logic (which is where the
problem should be fixed) because you don't have control over the code.

You have 3 (1,2,4) really good (performance neutral) options not
mentioned so far,
1) use a whitespace stripping http proxy you run on your LAN
2) use mod security, removewhitespace in response body
3) use a rewrite rule to a reg exp based whitespace server-side script
which serves each page of your application.
4) similar to (3) use an autoprepend rule to serve your white space
laden pages through a reg exp based whitespace stripping script.

I would probably go for 1,3 or 4, because they are so easy.

(2) carries a performance hit, but use of mod security is highly
regarded and I would say is an esssential part of protecting an
application such as yours - one for which you do not own and cannot
change the code.

Thanks Matt.  3 and 4 sound interesting.  How could I configure
something like that considering my <Location /> block:

<Location />
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlResponseHandler Interchange::Link
      PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
      PerlSetVar InterchangeServer /path/to/socket
</Location>

mod_security also sounds interesting.  It's pretty tricky to set up though?

- Grant