Re: Stripping white space from HTML

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:45:04 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > You'd incur a far lower penalty using a SAX-based parser such as
> > mod_proxy_html or mod_publisher.
>
> How could you use either of those to eliminate white space in
> delivered HTML?  Would implementing the DTD feature of mod_publisher
> automatically do it?

Hmmm, good point.  I had something slightly different in mind.
An MLRewriteRule to collapse superfluous whitespace will do it
(and either module will automatically collapse it within your tags).

> > If the issue is just one of transmitting far too many bytes, then
> > standard compression with mod_deflate will fix that.  That's also
> > a performance hit, so you might want to use mod_cache.
>
> I plan on using mod_gzip to eliminate bytes at some point.

You mean mod_deflate.  mod_gzip is obsolete.

>	  Right now
> all I want to do is eliminate all white space from my delivered HTML.

mod_line_edit might be a better bet, perhaps with a LERewriteRule to
collapse any whitespace of more than one byte to a single space.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/