Re: Performance on mod_proxy?

On Jan 22, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Hi,

Of course the back end server is working. It was working without a proxy, and I haven't changed anything on it. I've just put it to run on another port, and without a named virtual host, but an IP- based one on localhost:83.

I've made a telnet connection to it on port 83, and it is working fine. I can even see it using a browser on http://localhost:83/.

So it must be something bad with my proxy settings. I have read the mod_proxy details on Apache's site, but I think I still do something wrong, or something...

However, under Windows it doesn't work at all, and it shows that error that the header doesn't contain a ":".

Try connecting with a client that shows you exactly the response headers, like Curl or IE with IEWatch.

Have you considered the ProxyBadHeader directive?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxybadheader

S.

Thanks.

Octavian

From: "Lucas Brasilino" <lucas.brasilino@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

Hi

Very strange. Looks like your backend server's response is not
starting with a HTTP status line[1], like:

HTTP/1.x 200 OK

[1]http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html

Even if proxy instance is making an bad request (due a bug or something,
which I don't think so), the backend one should answer with:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

For instance.

Try telneting (or use netcat) to your backend server's HTTP port and
make a simple request, like:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: put.your.hostname.here
Connection: close
<enter>

And investigate it's response.

Regards
Lucas Brasilino

Do you have any idea what these error lines in the error log means?
(Apache 2.24 under Linux)

in the error log of the reverse proxy (mod_proxy):

[Mon Jan 22 14:11:26 2007] [error] [client 82.208.146.70] proxy: error
reading status line from remote server localhost, referer:
http://www.site.ro/prg

and in the error log of the backend server (using mod_perl):

[Mon Jan 22 17:35:22 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] request failed:
error reading the headers

Under Apache 2.23 on Windows it appears an error message in the browser telling that the header doesn't contain a ":" character, and it shows
the line:

GET / HTTP/1.1

Do you have any idea how I could make mod_proxy to work without showing
these errors?
(Can you share a sample httpd.conf mod_proxy configuration that works?)

Or maybe those errors are not important and they can be ignored?

Thank you.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lucas Brasilino"
<lucas.brasilino@xxxxxxxxx>