[users@httpd] Re: RPC over HTTP through mod_proxy

Hans Maurer <hans <at> red.roses.de> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Actually, my theory is more along the line that the basic design of RPC over
> HTTP is broken.  It's extremely sensitive to any kind of delay or buffering
> on intermediary servers, and apache does exactly that (RFC compliant,
> nevertheless).

However, I still think it should be able to be done as Squid can do it.  Squid
and apache are obviously doing the reverse proxying slightly differently.  It
would be interesting to know why one works and the other doesn't (at least not
reliably) and whether there is anything that can be done to get it to work on
apache and still maintain compliance with the relevant RFC's.

There are already workarounds in apache and squid for certain non-compliant
behaviour of various browsers.  Perhaps this is another case (although it is a
bit more fundamental given we are dealing with a protocol).  There may even be a
solution using current settings available in apache.

I guess it depends on what the actual problem is (I certainly do not have the
skill set to diagnose it) and then whether the solution is difficult or
worthwhile to implement.

> > Do you use basic or ntlm authentication in the outlook settings? I
> > suppose basic ?
>
> I'm using basic authentication.

I am also using basic authentication.  As far as I know NTLM is not friendly
with proxy servers.

> Best regards,
>    Hans

Regards