[users@httpd] Re: RPC over HTTP through mod_proxy

Hans Maurer <hans <at> red.roses.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to grant road warrior users access to our company Exchange server
> through RPC over HTTP.  In my setup, an Apache 2.2.2 on a FreeBSD server in
> the DMZ should act as a proxy between the Internet and the IIS on on the
> Exchange server.  The communication is SSL-encrypted in both directions
> (SSLEngine and SSLProxyEngine On).
>
> Unfortunately, the Outlook client just hangs when trying to access Exchange
> through the proxy.  The Apache error log shows these messages:

Hans
Thanks for your email.  I was beginning to think I had configured something
incorrectly (still may have!) in trying to get rpc over http working to an
exchange 2003 SP2 server:-)

I have been able to get OWA access to work without problems and can connect via
rpc over http over the local LAN to the exchange server also.

However, I am experiencing exactly the same problem you describe when trying to
use apache as the front end proxy.  I have tried apache 2.0.54, 2.0.58 and 2.2.2
and they all behave the same way in relation to this problem.

I had also noticed the very long content length in some ethereal packet dumps I
did on the non-ssl connection between apache and the exchange server (my config
is outlook client -> (ssl) -> apache -> (non-ssl) -> exchange) but I was not
sure what it meant.

I will be keen to see if anyone has worked out how to overcome this.  For the
moment, I will try apache 2.0.53, as you mentioned it does work in this
configuration.

Regards

Paul