[users@httpd] Re: RPC over HTTP through mod_proxy

Pieter Vanmeerbeek <pieter.vanmeerbeek <at> able.be> writes:

> Hi Paul and Hans,
>
> I tried to create a setup similar to the one Paul did (with https on the
> internet and http on the secure lan).  I couldn't get this working even
> on the 2.0.53, ie. owa and active sync works fine RPC does some strange
> things. If you wait a very long time ( more then5 minutes) it eventually
> gets a sync.However using a port forwording this works immediatly. Do
> you guys have the same timing problem or did I do something wrong?
> Inspecting a tcpdump shows rpc errors, however it is not clear to me
> what they mean.

Pieter
Since my email I have now tried apache 2.0.53 and found a similar result to you.
 It works but takes a long time (5-10 minutes, although this seems to vary a
lot) before outlook establishes a connection.  On one occasion it connected in
about 20 seconds but that only happened once:-(

I think the problem stems from how mod_proxy is handling the rpc_in_data and
rpc_out_data methods.

I decided to try squid 2.6stable1 as an alternative to apache.  I already had it
compiled for use as a normal proxy so all I needed to do was set it up with a
configuration as a https reverse proxy.  I had come across some newsgroup
postings where they talked about this a little so it only took me about 5
minutes to get it configured and what do you know - it works!  It also works for
OWA access.  I have not tried outlook mobile access or active sync as I don't
have the devices to try it out.

My testing so far is across our local LAN but I see no reason why this will not
work when coming in from the internet.  It will just require some additional
configuration to handle this case.

If you would like more info, I can provide you with a very basic (insecure)
squid.conf file that works.

Regards

Paul