RE: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy between WebSphere and the WebServer - prevent "Bad Gateway" errors.

True, it does routing and does simple port-checks I
think to make sure the backend application server is
up. If that backend server is down, it routes the
request to an app server that is up.

In the proxy'd environment, this can happen:

a) the backend app server crashes / goes down
b) the plugin, not knowing it's actually hitting a
reverse proxy, does a port check and says "Hey, the
WAS instance is up, let me send this request to you".
c) the proxy tries to pass the request on to the app,
gets no response, and returns a "bad gateway" error
message which in turn is presented back to the client.

Without a proxy in the middle, this would happen:

a) the backend app server crashes / goes down
b) the plugin tries to talk to the app server, sees
its down, and reroutes the request to a different app
server. The client gets the right data back and would
be none-the-wiser.

So, how would I accomplish the latter with using the
former?

--- Axel-Stéphane  SMORGRAV