From: Richard de Vries [mailto:richard_devries@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:05 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy between WebSphere and the WebServer - prevent "Bad Gateway" errors.

True, it does routing and does simple port-checks I think to make sure the backend application server is up. If that backend server is down, it routes the request to an app server that is up.

In the proxy'd environment, this can happen:

a) the backend app server crashes / goes down
b) the plugin, not knowing it's actually hitting a reverse proxy, does a port check and says "Hey, the WAS instance is up, let me send this request to you".
c) the proxy tries to pass the request on to the app, gets no response, and returns a "bad gateway" error message which in turn is presented back to the client.

Without a proxy in the middle, this would happen:

a) the backend app server crashes / goes down
b) the plugin tries to talk to the app server, sees its down, and reroutes the request to a different app server. The client gets the right data back and would be none-the-wiser.

So, how would I accomplish the latter with using the former?