[users@httpd] Re: mod_rewrite Scenario Assistance

On 6/28/06, Rob Wilkerson <r.d.wilkerson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, that's exactly what the module is doing.  It accepts the
incoming request, writes a custom header (x-se-path) whose value is
the URI of the incoming request and then redirects that request to the
landing page.  The landing page then does its work and includes the
content of the document at the original URI.

You are not clearly specifying what is going on.  Is the server
sending an external redirect (response code 30X) to the client?  Or is
it simply fetching the content from the "landing" page without ever
telling the client that anything has changed.  The latter could be
called an "internal redirect", and is the only way that the server
could be modifying client request headers.  Client request headers
cannot be modified on external redirects.

Sorry, in the case of the module, everything happens internally.  The
visitor sees the URL they entered and that doesn't change even though
they actually hit our landing page.

Although it's not necessary to forward that original request URI in a
request header, per se, the one location that *can't* be used to
forward the URI is the query string.  For this product, the URI is
sort of sacred for usability, readability and SEO reasons.  Is there
any Apache and/or mod_rewrite functionality that might get the job
done another way?

If it is an internal redirect, than it doesn't matter what you do to
the query string, since the new URL will never be seen by the client.
It all happens internally in the server.

Joshua.

And I guess maybe this is my question (sorry it took so long for me to
get here): does mod_rewrite do an internal redirect so that the
"pretty" URI never changes?  If so, then I suppose you're right.  It
doesn't matter how we forward the original URL.

--

Rob Wilkerson