From: Ross A. Del Duca [mailto:RDelDuca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 1:10 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] RE: failure notice

The catch is the port.  If your server is not listening on standard
ports
(80 or 443) you can start your server up as any user.  However, the
privileged ports (1-1024) are generally (always?) restricted so that
only
UID 0 can create listeners that bind to them.  As indicated by a
previous
post, the general idea is to start up the listener as UID 0, bind to the
privileged port, and then drop the process owner to a non-UID 0 account
after the bind is successful.

--

Ross A. Del Duca, GCIH
Security Officer