Re: [users@httpd] Cannot Get Basic Auth to Work

On 12/8/05, Michael Avila <Michael.Avila.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As I said in my original message, I am NOT going to put a complete URL to a
> wide open area that I am trying to protect. I am protecting it for a reason.
> I do not want anyone getting into that area until it is secure. Any there
> are all kinds of people scanning the newsgroups and mailing lists.

Then do a little extra work and setup a test site that doesn't have
any confidentiality issues and recreate the problem there.  If you
want to get a problem solved, you need to be willing to contribute a
little effort ;-)

> It does not work means it does not work!

Oy vey.  I think you need to read:
"It does not work" can mean at least a half dozen different things in
this context.

> I do not know what .NET CLR is. Sounds like MS .NET (which I am not using).

This is just how your browser identifies itself.  Not important.

> I did not know what to put for AuthDBMType. I tried default and DB. What is
> the correct value? Docs did not specify what to use.

Depends on how your apache is compiled.  Omitting this directive will
get you the default, which will probably work.  But this is not your
current problem.  If this directive was set incorrectly but everything
else was right, you'd get a message in the error.log.

> I commented out
>
> AuthName O
> Require valid-user
> AllowOverride AuthConfig Options
>
> and it still does not ask for auth.

I was only referring to the AllowOverride line.  The AuthName and
Require lines are essential.  Are you reading the documentation on
these directives?  Don't just take our word for it.

> > > Alias /o E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/d/c/a
> > > <Directory /o>

This is wrong.  As I said, it needs to be <Directory
"E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/d/c/a">.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html#file-and-web
This is probably the cause of your central problem.  And it would have
been easily noticed by others before if you hadn't obscured your
config file.

Joshua.