RE: [users@httpd] Cannot Get Basic Auth to Work

As I said in my original message, I am NOT going to put a complete URL to a
wide open area that I am trying to protect. I am protecting it for a reason.
I do not want anyone getting into that area until it is secure. Any there
are all kinds of people scanning the newsgroups and mailing lists.

It does not work means it does not work! There is not auth performed. I
think you are picking up on this thread down the line and the original
explanation is being deleted for brevity by those that reply. That is why
you are missing a lot of the explanation.

The error file does not contain anything. The access file contains

70.228.56.50 - - [08/Dec/2005:15:17:32 -0500] "GET /o/images/c/tools.gif
HTTP/1.1" 200 522 "http://thecertnetwork.net/o"; "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"

I do not know what .NET CLR is. Sounds like MS .NET (which I am not using).
I just put the URL in my browser and expect an auth request. Instead I get
the web page at that location.

I had the ALIAS wrong in the copy and paste. I corrected it below. All of
that part is correct. But thanks for pointing it out. Sometimes the forest
hides the trees. So I always appreciate a second pair of eyes.

It is a DBM file but Owen said that I need the DBM stuff. When I created the
file I used htdbm.exe. Was that incorrect? It put the .dir on the end of the
file name. I just entered auth.dbm. Again, I was told by Owen to use
Require.

I did not know what to put for AuthDBMType. I tried default and DB. What is
the correct value? Docs did not specify what to use.

I commented out

AuthName O
Require valid-user
AllowOverride AuthConfig Options

and it still does not ask for auth.

Okay, then I deleted the auth files and built it using dbmmanage.pl. I
entered auth.dbm for the file name and got auth.dir. Then I tried everything
I did before, even uncommenting what I commented per your instructions. It
still does not ask for auth before showing the web page! I changed
AuthDBMUserFile to AuthUserFile and it did not work.

So I am lost as what to do next! Appreciate any help!

Mike