To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs Apache 2

On 12/7/05, Michael Jeung <mjeung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yesterday afternoon, we put this new server into production and it
seemed to be behaving relatively OK, with system-load of 4-5.  We
thought everything was going well and that this issue was wrapped
up.  Serves us right - today we got into the office and found that
loads on our server had spiked to 150.

Before we pulled the server from production, we grabbed a few
snapshots of what the system was doing.  After taking a look at
these, I haven't been able to make much head-way.  If someone with
more experience in this matter could take a look, I would greatly
appreciate it.

You need to use tools like mod_status, your access_log, strace, and a
debugger to see what those processes are actually doing.  Given the
amount of memory they are using, they clearly aren't serving static
files, so this is likely something php or database related.

Ultimately, my goal here is to get Apache to behave.  Any solution
that will allow Apache to run without killing the server is
acceptable -- including upgrading to Apache 2.  (Does Apache2
outperform Apache 1.3?)

Apache 2 will outperform 1.3 in some cases because of sendfile
support, among other things.  But since your site looks very
php/database dependent, it's unlikely changing the underlying web
server will have any measurable effect.

Joshua.