Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs Apache 2

On 07/12/05, Michael Jeung <mjeung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good morning all,

Recently, we've migrated one of our production servers from a Linux
box to a FreeBSD box.  We're running Apache 1.3.34, with a PHP/MySQL
web application.  Listed below, you can find how apache has been
compiled.

Yesterday afternoon, we put this new server into production and it
seemed to be behaving relatively OK, with system-load of 4-5.  We
thought everything was going well and that this issue was wrapped
up.  Serves us right - today we got into the office and found that
loads on our server had spiked to 150.

Before we pulled the server from production, we grabbed a few
snapshots of what the system was doing.  After taking a look at
these, I haven't been able to make much head-way.  If someone with
more experience in this matter could take a look, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Ultimately, my goal here is to get Apache to behave.  Any solution
that will allow Apache to run without killing the server is
acceptable -- including upgrading to Apache 2.  (Does Apache2
outperform Apache 1.3?)

Hi I recently recovered from a similiar problem and mysql was the culprit, it looked innocent sitting there using 0% cpu but when I ran mytop I seen dozens of threads just sitting there so it had somehow locked up causing a chain reaction to apache.  Of course restarting apache and leaving mysql alone would recover the situation for a temporary period because it killed all these open connections to mysql unclogging it.  What I did to resolve the problem was (a) disable keepalive on apache, which helped a great deal, (b) changed the threading on mysql I also stopped using WITH_PROC_SCOPE_PTH and disabled kern.threads.thr_scope_sys, I still have mysqld statically compiled tho.  (c) I did change a few things in my.cnf like reduce thread caching and timeout values but I think (a) and (b) were what solved it, I am not 100% confident yet but I am close to 48 hours without a hitch and was having to restart apache numerous times a day.

Chris