Re: [users@httpd] Compression and Security

It is indeed possible to compress images, and if you specify apache to do so, it will.

The issue is that some browsers like some of the Netscape versions have had history of having problems with HTTP/1.1 with compressed images. So you would more likely fend off a percentage of users. there might be other browsers with same issue that I am not aware of. Moreover even if you compress an image, you won't gain much, as I tried to zip a 20.7Kb jpg and got a 20.3Kb file and a 202 Kb gif to a 202 Kb zip file.

As far as security, what version of apache are you using? Get the most recent one in the 1.3.x or 2.0.x and you will be alright. Choose the modules carefully and only Load the ones you need, besides the fact that there is a doc on apache's site about security that can guide you more on securing apache. Get back here if you have any more questions.
HTH

Regards
Aman Raheja
http://www.techquotes.com

Arthur Guy wrote:

Isn't it possible to compress images any further?

I guess I am not really sure what I am asking when it comes to security, I
have setup an apache server running parallel to my current IIS server but on
port 8080. I want to switch them over but I would like to be sure that the instillation
is secure, are there any problems with apache that I need to be worried
about? Are there any patches / configuration setups that need to be applied?

Arthur

arthur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx