From: Nick Kew [mailto:nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: 25 June 2005 22:42
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Compression and Security

Arthur Guy wrote:

Does gzip compression and browser decompression support images or is it

just

html and text?

Irrelevant.  Web image formats are already compressed.  You should also
avoid compressing some other formats (such as PDF) or a certain
crippled browser will refuse to display them.

Is the name mod_security correct, searching for it in the documentation
doesn't return anything?

It's a third-party module.  But it's not really required for Apache
in the sense of IIS.  We don't have a long history of devastating bugs
like CodeRed and Nimda (despite having three times MS's market share).
mod_security protects vulnerable applications rather than the server
itself.

--
Jean-Christophe Montigny
Responsable Commission Web, Association Planètes
Responsable serveurs assoces.com, Association Planètes
Etudiant de deuxième année à Grenoble Ecole de Management
Majeure Conseil en Organisation des Systèmes d'Information
begin:vcard
fn:Jean-Christophe Montigny
n:Montigny;Jean-Christophe
org;quoted-printable:Association Pl@n=C3=A8tes
adr;quoted-printable:;;12, rue Pierre S=C3=A9mard;Grenoble;FR;38000;France
email;internet:jcm@xxxxxxxxxxx
title:Responsable Com Web
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://planetes.assoces.com/