From: Jean-Christophe Montigny [mailto:jcm@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: 26 June 2005 01:53
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Compression and Security

Hello,

Arthur Guy wrote:

Isn't it possible to compress images any further?

Try to compress 100Mb of JPEG pictures and see for yourself.

I guess I am not really sure what I am asking when it comes to security, I have setup an apache server running parallel to my current IIS server but

on

port 8080. I want to switch them over but I would like to be sure that the

instillation

is secure, are there any problems with apache that I need to be worried
about? Are there any patches / configuration setups that need to be

applied?
What's the point in releasing stable versions if they need to be patched further... No, there isn't. Security issues raise from insecure (php, perl, ...) scripts and wrong permissions. If you merely deliver HTML files, and process nothing server-side (such as cgi or aforementioned scripts) then there is not much to do. It depends a lot on the distribution you use, too. But this list is no place for distro flames.

Arthur -

I have been using ProFTPd for quite a while now. It has an "apache-like" configuration file, meaning, it's broken down into directives and such. It's very nice, and I'm sure that many people here will also agree.

More info can be found at www.proftpd.org.

Thanks!
-dant