Re: [users@httpd] mod_disk_cache and local files updating

On 6/15/05, Florin Gherendi <florin_gf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am using apache 2.0.53 with apache 1.3.33 in Perl proxied mode on a
> Linux Mandrake 9.2/ dual Xeon server.
> Apache 2 was compiled as RPM (I backported it from Mandriva 10.2) with
> mod_cache and mod_disk_cache enabled and installed.
> It works fine, but sometimes, for some vhosts, updating (replacing) a
> html file doesn't result in file appearing changed on http access, even
> if this access is performed from the server that hosts the site. If this
> happens and I erase the cache root (/var/cache/httpd in my case)
> contents, the new file is finally seen by apache.
>
> This only happens on heavy traffic and not for all vhosts on the server;
> it seems that it happens more probably on files edited under Windows
> (but I am not very sure of that, because this behavior seems quite
> random; I can have weeks/months without this happening).
>
> I don't know very well the site structure on the vhost where the problem
> was reported, it's some user's site, but I don't think the cause would
> be a html error.
> I think the problem is rather related to mod_disk_cache but I don't know
> why it happens. Anybody could give me a clue?

mod_cache/mod_disk_cache use standard HTTP caching rules to determine
when to check for updates.  In general, there is no way for the cache
to know when a file has been updated.  It will only do freshness
checks according to the information it has in the Cache-control,
Expires, and Last-Modified headers.  So if you want the freshness
checked more often, you need to modify those headers on the content.

Joshua.