[users@httpd] mod_disk_cache and local files updating

I am using apache 2.0.53 with apache 1.3.33 in Perl proxied mode on a
Linux Mandrake 9.2/ dual Xeon server.
Apache 2 was compiled as RPM (I backported it from Mandriva 10.2) with
mod_cache and mod_disk_cache enabled and installed.
It works fine, but sometimes, for some vhosts, updating (replacing) a
html file doesn't result in file appearing changed on http access, even
if this access is performed from the server that hosts the site. If this
happens and I erase the cache root (/var/cache/httpd in my case)
contents, the new file is finally seen by apache.

This only happens on heavy traffic and not for all vhosts on the server;
it seems that it happens more probably on files edited under Windows
(but I am not very sure of that, because this behavior seems quite
random; I can have weeks/months without this happening).

I don't know very well the site structure on the vhost where the problem
was reported, it's some user's site, but I don't think the cause would
be a html error.
I think the problem is rather related to mod_disk_cache but I don't know
why it happens. Anybody could give me a clue?
Thanks
Florin