[users@httpd] mod_proxy / mod_rewrite: Passing remote IP address to internal server

Hi,

I do use mod_proxy as a reverse / forward proxy as follows:

Inet -> Server (public IP, Apache 2) -> Internal Server (same system, virtual
server using Linux vserver - private IP address, Apache 2)

Now all the requests that are send to the public IP address are forwarded to
the internal server(s). The problem is that the original IP of the remote
client is not passed to the internal server so for the internal servers it
looks like the public server is making all the requests. My question now is:
How can I pass the remote_addr of the client making the request to the
internal server using mod_rewrite or mod_proxy? I mean I want the IP not only
to be logable inside the virtual server (with the private ip) but also I
would like PHP scripts etc. to correctly get the IP's of the remote clients.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

All the best & thanks,
Werner.