Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Phillip,

I sympathize with your network issues.  All I can
offer is some general guidelines to assist in
debugging where the real problem(s) are occurring.
Sometimes network problems are far from
straightforward and yes can be a pain in the arse.

What I suggest is for you to try to simplify your
access issues from outside your network using
small-step test scenarios (and I apologize if this
sounds way too general, not to sound like you haven't
tried doing this already, but just in case you haven't
tried this thinking - often it is easier to help
someone than to help yourself).  Sometimes all it
takes is to hear something truly irrelevant to help
with a problem, and that is what is best about forums.
 For example:

1. Get your internet access working with SSH before
trying to get it to work with your web service.

2. Another is to try accessing using your IP address
only when testing, because this removes the name
translation dependency.

3.  It has been my experience that browser access via
web service introduces issues not normally involved
with network access.  For example, if you haven't
rebooted or restarted your web browser and your
address on your web server has changed, your browser
may "remember" it in cache and not accept the new IP,
leading one to believe it is a network issue when in
fact it is the stupid browser (IE does this for
example).

4.  Remember that your web server needs to find you on
the remote side and this is what hosts and perhaps
resolv.conf on your web server is good for, and that
different OSs may handle resolv.conf differently (I
haven't had the need to mess with resolv.conf, for
example, in NetBSD, because I use DHCP).

5.  Remember that your web server, if on a private
LAN, is NATted through your router, and that you have
to tell different pieces of network access software
the right IP for a given name to work.  For example,
I've had to put my router's IP in my web server's
hosts file because otherwise it will translate itself
to its private LAN address when using its FQDN and
won't go to DNS to find it (this doesn't mean it will
work that way for another OS, for example).

If I think of anything else that may be completely
irrelevant that may trigger a thought to help solve a
problem I'll send again.

Good luck...  BZAG

<http://www.tzo.com/MainPageDownload/30days_free.html>