Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

For the novice the message it sends for DDNS configuration is use TZO or don't configure DDNS here.

My objective is to have complete control, for now I am trying both the DynDNS and the TZO (free versions) until I figure this out and it is working. So far Apache2 is running fine my problem is access to my web server from outside my local net.

Perhaps this is not where to go for my DNS issues. I am very grateful for any help I can get though ( I tend to over complicate things).

As it goes I am using Debian 3.1 and I am finding that a few things have changed since I read about DNS configuration, as an example the instructions step-by-step I have to setup a DNS server are not valid with Debian as they decided to split the "named.conf" file into several small conf files and move the "named" stuff all into /etc/bind. It makes since but for a beginner jumping from file to file to understand examples is a pain in the ass.

Bottom line it is still not working my California office cannot find my website in Brazil.

One document I read says use local IP in the /etc/host for my system, another says use the "assigned" IP from my ISP which is displayed on the router interface and via the DynDNS/TZO control panels. Also I have conflicting examples of what to put in "resolv.conf" and how to assign my IP's or a single IP to 1) my system 2) the web host/server 3) the DNS server 4) virtual hosts

Once I sort this out I should have enough knowledge to back out of DynDNS and TZO as they only add additional "Domain" issues the domain I want is not used anywhere and I don't like the "free" choices I am given. I don't want to work "in the box" or "outside the box" I want to work as if there is "no box" after all who said I have to pay to use the Internet, it is bad enough I need to pay to access it, however I offset this cost by using VOIP to eliminate by phone bills, but that is another forum all together.

Please keep the advice and suggestions coming.

thanks too all who respond ( even the other old folks ;-)

-Philip

Stephen Cook wrote:

this just means that you CAN use their service, but you can still set up port forwarding and such manually and use DynDNS.org or no-ip.com or whatever. the built-in option is just simpler to set up (not by a whole lot either), at the price of actually having to pay.

NetSuporte wrote:

Robert,

I also used the free service of DynDNS

the model I have is ( network everywhere ) LynkSys

cable/DSL router Model Number:NR041

This is on the DDNS configuration screen inside the router:
DDNS (Dynamic DNS) allows assigning a domain name to a dynamic WAN IP address,
making it easier to host Web, FTP, or other servers.
The Dynamic DNS service is powered by TZO.com.

To use the Dynamic DNS Services, please sign up for a free 30 day trial <http://www.tzo.com/MainPageDownload/30days_free.html>
To order the TZO service, click here <http://www.tzo.com/order.html>
To manage your domain name and related services: Controlpanel.tzo.com <http://Controlpanel.tzo.com>
TZO Password Key:  -philip

Robert Zagarello wrote:

NetSuporte,

I use a D-Link DI-624 that doesn't complain.  Who
wants to charge you?  I did not use DynDNS's
subscription $$$, only their free service.  It means
you have to use one of their domain names.

I'd like to know the Linksys model you are using so I
can tell people to avoid it !  Thanks.  BZAG
=================================

--- NetSuporte <netsuporte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Robert

Right off I ran into a snag my Lynksys router
insists I use TZO.COM
and they charge a fee after 30 days.

That really sucks as I discovered this after signing
on with DYNDNS.ORG
Where they assigned me a domain of homelinux.com A redirected host name of quecaixa.webhop.net with
the redirected URL of www.quecaixa.com.br:8222
cloaked - yes
cloak = www.quecaixa.com.br

Not sure what the cloaked stuff is about exactly but
with or with out I still
cannot get to my server outside my own net.

So I will try to enable DMZ and see if it helps.

Philip

Robert Zagarello wrote:

Here are some guidelines for running a private web
server on your home network for internet
accessibility. I think I've included everything. This is actually what I am using myself (am running
NetBSD) and it is working:

1. Use Dynamic DNS and a 3rd party DDNS service
provider like dyndns.org.  There should be an entry
for DDNS in your home cable/DSL router for this.

You
don't need an internet registered domain and DNS
address - the DDNS service will do it.  You don't

need
a static IP address from your ISP for your router.

2. Install and run the SSH daemon for remote admin

your web server.

3. On remote Windows PCs use PuTTY and PuTTY's

command
line utilities for up/downloading files from your

web
server.

4.  On your cable/DSL home router put an entry for

the
remote IP addresses in your firewall, specifying

the
host and SSH ports, and route them to your web

server.
5.  Put an entry in your router's firewall for the
router itself, as in the previous step, to test
internet accessibility from your home network.  If

you
put an entry for your web server's host name in a

home
network PC's hosts file, you will access the web
server without going out to the internet.  If you

use
the web server's FQDN (full host plus domain name,
fully qualified domain name), your home PC will
actually request name translation from your ISP's

DNS,
which is your router, and then direct your request

your router's WAN side port, effectively testing

for
internet accessibility.

6. In your web server's host file put your DDNS
address and FQDN (full host plus domain name, fully
qualified domain name) you got from your DDNS

service
provider.  Don't put in the web server's private

LAN
address.  Note the IP address may change because

you
are using DDNS - but it doesn't change that

frequently
- so you may want to run a script that checks it
daily.

7.  You may want to put a simple non-dotted
up-to-15-character name for your ISP's DNS to test
name resolution from your web server when you have
problems using nslookup for example (you have to
specify the server using nslookup because the web
server is on your home network).

8.  You can also put a simple non-dotted
up-to-15-character name (say, just the host name

only
of the FQDN) for the web server in your home PC's
hosts file to permit local testing of your web

server.
9.  In rc.conf (I am running NetBSD) on the web
server,   put in the DDNS FQDN as the hostname and
similarly its domain part for the domainname.

There are entries above for the IP address that are
made manually so these have to be checked

periodically
if changed by your broadband ISP.  (This does not
include the DDNS entry in the router which will

update
your DDNS service entry automatically).

BZAG

The official User-To-User support forum of the

Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html>

for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: