Re: [users@httpd] index.htm recognized in virtual host, but not index.html

On 09 Apr 2005 21:29:33 +0300, Florin <florin_gf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Don't mind the "RevriteEngine" blabla, I had to write it for each vhost,
> because I noticed it wasn't inherited from the commonhttpd.conf file and
> it really fixes some security issues.

Not really.  In fact, apache doesn't have any TRACK method, so that is
completely unnecessary, and TRACE is not a real security
vulnerability.  Don't believe everything your security scanner tells
you.

> So I still don't understand why what works for vhost2 and 3 do not work
> for vhost1.
> I must add that there is nothing concerning *any* of the vhosts in the
> commonhttpd.conf or any of the other .conf files.
> And also, trying DirectoryIndex index.html in the www.vhost1 section do
> not help at all.
> And also, if adding Option +Indexes I obtain the directory index.
> It really seems the "www" thing causes the problem, if I modify the
> CNAME in the DNS config (yes, I do have access to it, since I'm the
> administrator of that domain) and remove the www there and in
> Vhosts.conf, it starts working. Yet I don't understand why, cause it
> shouldn't.
> Doesn't apache 2.0.53 support subdomain/hostname-with-a-dot-in-it
> addresses anymore?

Apache doesn't care at all about the contents of the hostname.

> NameVirtualHost www.vhost1.my_domain.ro
> <VirtualHost www.vhost1.my_domain.ro>

This is not an optimal configuration.  You should have one
NameVirtualHost directive for each IP address that your server uses
or, more simply, just use "NameVirtualHost *:80".  The <VirtualHost>
container should contain the same thing.  The only place you should
use the domain name is in the ServerName directive.

I don't see why this would cause the problem you are seeing, but it is
certainly something you should fix.

Other than that, I suggest looking carefully for any <Directory>
section, Alias, or RewriteRule that could be affecting requests to
/home/vhost1/public_html.

Joshua.