Re: [users@httpd] index.htm recognized in virtual host, but not index.html

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult anybody; it's just that in my first post
I tried to be as clear as possible and give as much detail as I could.
I'm sure it can't be a vhost configuration problem, that's all. The
configs for all vhosts on that server were made by copy/paste.

So here's my Vhosts.conf ( a little modified to hide the real names ).
Don't mind the "RevriteEngine" blabla, I had to write it for each vhost,
because I noticed it wasn't inherited from the commonhttpd.conf file and
it really fixes some security issues.
So I still don't understand why what works for vhost2 and 3 do not work
for vhost1.
I must add that there is nothing concerning *any* of the vhosts in the
commonhttpd.conf or any of the other .conf files.
And also, trying DirectoryIndex index.html in the www.vhost1 section do
not help at all.
And also, if adding Option +Indexes I obtain the directory index.
It really seems the "www" thing causes the problem, if I modify the
CNAME in the DNS config (yes, I do have access to it, since I'm the
administrator of that domain) and remove the www there and in
Vhosts.conf, it starts working. Yet I don't understand why, cause it
shouldn't.
Doesn't apache 2.0.53 support subdomain/hostname-with-a-dot-in-it
addresses anymore? I used the www.vhost1.my_domain.ro CNAME because the
subgroup using/administering that virtual page requested it, and it
worked for several years till now, so it would be a bit embarassing to
change their web address or impose them to only use index.htm file.
I even tried downgrading back to 2.0.47 and it started working again;
but I can't keep that version, it has serious security holes.

NameVirtualHost www.vhost1.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost www.vhost1.my_domain.ro>
ServerName www.vhost1.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost1/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /home/vhost1/public_html
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
RewriteRule .* - [F]
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost2.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost vhost2.my_domain.ro>
ServerName vhost2.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost2/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/vhost2.my_domain.ro/
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
RewriteRule .* - [F]
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost3.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost vhost3.my_domain.ro>
ServerName vhost3.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost3/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /home/vhost3/public_html