[users@httpd] index.htm recognized in virtual host, but not index.html

Hello everybody!
I subscribed to this list because I think I found a bug in Apache
2.0.53, but I might be wrong.
I have apache 2.0.53 + apache 1.3.33 running in proxied mode on a dual
Xeon 2.6GHz with Mandrake Linux 9.2.
The machine hosts a main domain, let's say www.<my_domain>.ro and some
virtual hosts named like:
www.<vhost1>.<my_domain>.ro
<vhost2>.<my_domain>.ro
<vhost3>.<my_domain>.ro
All the vhosts are CNAME for www.<my_domain>.ro in DNS.
The configuration for vhost1, vhost2 and vhost3 in vhosts/Vhosts.conf is
identically made except that the DocumentRoot and CustomLog sections
point to different locations, such as:
vhost1 has DocumentRoot /home/user1/public_html
vhost2 has DocumentRoot /home/user2/public_html
vhost3 has DocumentRoot /var/www/html/vhost3.my_domain.ro

Here comes the problem: when vhost1 directoty index is
"/home/user1/public_html/index.html", trying to access
www.vhost1.my_domain.ro with a web browser results in 403 error
("Directory index forbidden by rule" in log files). Accessing
www.vhost1.my_domain.ro/index.html works correctly. Replacing index.html
with index.htm and accessing www.vhost1.my_domain.ro also works.
In the same time vhost2 and vhost3 have no problem in recognising both
index.htm or index.htmo as index file.

Trying to replace DocumentRoot for vhost1 with /home/user2/public_html
and accessing www.vhost1.my_domain.ro results in the same problem of
only recognizing index.htm as index for vhost1. Replacing DocumentRoot
for both vhost2 or vhost3 with /home/user1/public_html and accessing
vhost2.my_domain.ro, respectively vhost3.my_domain.ro does not generate
any problem for vhost2 or vhost3 to recognize index.html as index file,
so I can certify the problem does not come from file/dir permissions.
The only things that seems to be at the origin of the problem is the
CNAME for vhost1, where there is a "www" before "vhost1".

The same configuration files *did* work correctly with apache-2.0.47
Using the port 8200 (where apache 1.3.33 runs as mod_perl proxy) does
not show the same problem as does the port 80, so it's only specific to
apache-2.0.53.

Did anybody have the same problem, or am I missing something? I suppose
this must be a bug in apache 2.0.53.