Re: [users@httpd] using mod_rewrite for subdirectories

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:35:08PM -0700, Octavian Hornoiu wrote:
> Hi, I am new to using mod_rewrite but I have used apache extensively in
> the past.  I am interested in redirecting sub-directories to a host name
> in the same domain.  Here is an example:
>
> http://my.domain.com/externaldomain/  >  http://externaldomain.domain.com/
>
> Here is another example:
>
> http://www.test.com/firefox/ > http://firefox.test.com/

Assuming I understand what you're going for here...

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/([^/]+) http://$1.test.com/ [L,R]

This will capture the first part of the URL path and use it as the
hostname in your domain. It will NOT, in this form, add any other
pathing info; you *could* have something like this:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/([^/]+)(/.*)? http://$1.test.com$2 [L,R]

...which would append any of the URI path data *after* the initial part
to the the target. This may or may not be in keeping with what you have
in mind, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

> Also, how do you place multiple rulesets and redirects in the same
> virtual host container?  If i want to redirect 20-30 of these
> sub-directories how do I list them in the ruleset?

Well, if it's always going to be the case that www.test.com/PATH maps to
http://PATH.test.com/, the above rule will handle all the cases. If
there are other cases that need handling, you can add rules for them;
note that order *may* matter, depending on the nature of the rules.

--n

--
"Any system shall not harm your content or, through
inaction, allow your content to come to harm."