[users@httpd] fastcgi php security

I am looking at moving from a mod_php setup to fastcgi-php. This would
be in a mass virtual hosting environment which I am facilitating with
mod_vhost_alias. I am curious as to what methods people use to run php
scripts with set uid of the document root's owner for each individual
user. This is tricky to do with thousands of separate domains being
hosted. php safe mode works ok but I'd like to take the security to
another level as well as investigating the possible speed advantages of
a fastcgi implementation. I don't believe it's possible to implement
suexec in a meaningful way without thousands of separate virtual host
configs. I am not looking for specific instructions per se. I will be
playing with mod_suphp and have looked at lighthttpd and their mysql
method of doing this. Zeus webserver seems to be able to facilitate this
as well with no problem. Any leads would be greatly appreciated-thanks.

Graham White