Re: [users@httpd] using mod_rewrite for subdirectories

----- Original Message ----- From: "Octavian Hornoiu" <octavian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 5:35 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] using mod_rewrite for subdirectories

Hi, I am new to using mod_rewrite but I have used apache extensively in
the past.  I am interested in redirecting sub-directories to a host name
in the same domain.  Here is an example:

http://my.domain.com/externaldomain/  >  http://externaldomain.domain.com/

Here is another example:

http://www.test.com/firefox/ > http://firefox.test.com/

How would i go about writing the rule to match this and redirect this in
the virtual host container for www.test.com?  I have tried several
rulesets with no success so I'm clearly not understanding something
correctly.  I would also like to match against the trailing slashes in
case the users requested a file by mistake instead of the directory.

Also, how do you place multiple rulesets and redirects in the same
virtual host container?  If i want to redirect 20-30 of these
sub-directories how do I list them in the ruleset?

Thanks for your help!

Octavian Hornoiu

I found this to work and use it on my server:

RewriteEngine On

Options +FollowSymlinks

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} subdomain.yoursite.com

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !foldername/

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ foldername/$1 [L]

Foldername should be the same as subdomain.

If this is incorrect, please let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin