Re: [users@httpd] Questions about MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers, StartServers

Joshua Slive wrote:
On Apr 3, 2005 5:37 PM, Dan Trainor <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Joshua Slive wrote:

On Apr 3, 2005 3:21 AM, Dan Trainor <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, all -

I've recently seen an error that I have not come across before, and it
is as follows:

[Sat Apr  2 19:16:57 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children,
there are 23 idle, and 85 total children

I understand it, however, it doesn't seem to matter what I set
StartServers, MinSpareServers, or MaxSpareServers to.  I still get these
errors, regardless of what I change them to.

I noticed that Apache only spawns new servers in two's compliment
fashion, so I've changed these values accordingly:

MinSpareServers 32
MaxSpareServers 48
StartServers 64

Joshua -

I understand what the settings mean.  My reasoning behind these settings
is that Apache would be able to quicker respond to a request if it
already had a child waiting for the connection.  If for some reason this
site got an additional 40 hits in one instant, Apache would deal with
those by sending them to children, and then when that is established, it
would create more children in anticipation for new connections.

Regardless, where might I be able to find more information about this
error?  I'm very curious now.

There is some additional comments on this stuff here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html#runtime

The problem with your settings is the lack of flexibility you are
giving to apache.  Setting Max/MinSpareServers to similar values will
always result in apache needing to fork and kill processes frequently.
 If you want to have lots of spare serving capacity available, then
all you need to do is increase MaxSpareServers (and perhaps
StartServers if you want this capacity available immediately).

Joshua.

I understand your argument, but these values are far from similar.

I guess I'm just looking for high performance information concerning Apache, this being v1.3.33.

Thanks for your help
-dant