Re: [users@httpd] Questions about MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers, StartServers

On Apr 3, 2005 3:21 AM, Dan Trainor <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, all -
>
> I've recently seen an error that I have not come across before, and it
> is as follows:
>
> [Sat Apr  2 19:16:57 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
> increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children,
> there are 23 idle, and 85 total children
>
> I understand it, however, it doesn't seem to matter what I set
> StartServers, MinSpareServers, or MaxSpareServers to.  I still get these
> errors, regardless of what I change them to.
>
> I noticed that Apache only spawns new servers in two's compliment
> fashion, so I've changed these values accordingly:
>
> MinSpareServers 32
> MaxSpareServers 48
> StartServers 64

With these settings, you are asking apache to constantly maintain
between 32 and 48 INACTIVE child processes.  This means that apache
will need to constantly fork and kill children to stay in this range
as load changes, resulting in messages like the one in your error log.

To fix this, you should drastically reduce MinSpareServers (and
perhaps increase MaxSpareServers) so that the range of "acceptable"
conditions is larger.  I doubt it is ever advisable to have
MinSpareServers greater than 10.

Joshua.