[users@httpd] Questions about MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers, StartServers

Hello, all -

I've recently seen an error that I have not come across before, and it is as follows:

[Sat Apr 2 19:16:57 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children, there are 23 idle, and 85 total children

I understand it, however, it doesn't seem to matter what I set StartServers, MinSpareServers, or MaxSpareServers to. I still get these errors, regardless of what I change them to.

I noticed that Apache only spawns new servers in two's compliment fashion, so I've changed these values accordingly:

MinSpareServers 32
MaxSpareServers 48
StartServers 64

This machine is more than capable of doing 1024 connections, as modified to do so by HARD_SERVER_LIMIT 1024 in src/include/httpd.h, so I am not worried about setting these values extremely high. I am curious, however, as to why my settings don't seem to take effect.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks!
-dant