[users@httpd] Server configuration stategy

Hi. This is my first post on this list. I am hoping I am posting in the right place.

I have just obtained a second server. Each uses an apache proxy to serve zope but I will also be serving other information directly out of the apache roots. I am wanting to reconfigure them for some standardized sites I wish to serve but need advice on best way to achieve what I want to do. For illustration, I will use four dummy domain names: mydomain.com, mydomain2.com, mydomain3.com and mydomain4.com and use apollo.mydomain.com and artemis.mydomain.com as my server names.

The two main domains, mydomain.com and mydomain2.com are currently served from apollo.mydomain.com using a fairly basic configuration. I have an ssl certificate for mydomain.com and am just in the process of acquiring a chained ssl so I will be able to have ssl on all the subdomains of mydomain I plan to use in future.

I want apollo.mydomain.com to be the master server and artemis.mydomain.com to be the slave. I want to duplicate the slaves as I expand my business later on by pretty much cloning the configuration of artemis later on.

Ok, here is my trouble. I want my existing sever apollo AND the new server artemis to serve subdomains of mydomain like: 29823045.mydomain.com, 57480302.mydomain.com, 87298736.mydomain.com, etc. since I want to use a chained ssl certificate to manage the authenticity and encrypt data. I want to serve 20 sites per server.

I also want my second major domain, mydomain2 to serve files out of the apache root for each server (apollo AND artemis). I use FreeBSD so my web root is at /usr/local/www. I am setting up a folder called sites in each web root and I want the mydomain2.com to be able to serve information from folders in /usr/local/www/sites from apollo and the folder in /usr/local/www/sites from artemis.

So I have two issues that I have not encountered. Serving same domain over more that one server and what I have to do for this and secondly how to serve a domain out of the apache root of more than one server. Can someone provide some advice on doing this. At this point, I am not very familiar with apache rewrite rules but my main goal is to determine whether what I am trying to do is viable and if so, advice on what I ought to be doing to proceed with this.

Many thanks.
David