Re: help with reverse proxy

> On 5 Oct 2021, at 22:43, Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@xxxxxxxxx.INVALID> wrote:
>
> GET /polaris/ HTTP/1.1
> Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> content-encoding: gzip

OK, that looks like it should be fine for the browser and server.

It looks like you're dealing with compressed data.
If the proxy is to rewrite links, it needs to be uncompressed for that.
mod_deflate can deal with that, but it adds complexity and processing
overhead, so you're probably better-off disabling compression -
which is what the Unset Accept-Encoding is about.

However, if compression were indeed at the root of the issue,
I'd expect to see something different in the log.  I have a distant
recollection of a bug dealing with that, but thought it was long-fixed.

> $ curl -v http://127.0.0.1:5050/

Looking at that, all is well, and you've got the document body, and you
do indeed have links correctly rewritten from /foo to /polaris/foo.
That's with no compression anywhere in the transaction.

> Sort of. Chromium is now working, but FF is still reporting the
> "Content Encoding" issue.

Have you cleared FF's cache?

Also you don't appear to need mod_xml2enc
(other pages might, but I'd guess probably not).
If you simply don't load it in the server you'll simplify things.
In fact it looks as if mod_xml2enc needs updating to work
correctly with HTML 5's <meta charset> nonsense!

--
Nick Kew