Re: which bit ?

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:27 AM Antony Stone
<Antony.Stone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 May 2021 at 14:07:03, back button wrote:
>
> > That it is a long standing problem that apache httpd and ubuntu httpd are
> > two different products  therefore case for widespread  confusion ?
>
> I've only been on this mailing list for 2 years, but I'm pretty sure this is
> the first time I've seen such a long-running discussion about the difference,
> instead of someone quite innocently asking here about Ubuntu httpd, being told
> "sorry, that's not the same as Apache httpd" and then going off to talk to the
> Ubuntu people about it instead.

I agree, or even simpler they just accept that software in a
distributions package sometimes has marginally different layout/tools.

> > Obviously ubuntu feel the apache docs and setup do not meet their
> > standard so they have made their point by redesigning  their  own product.
> > In my opinion Apache should ask themselves what they are doing wrong that
> > others are redesigning the product making the point Apache do not meet
> > their standard.
>
> Let's assume that the Apache Software Foundation believes the product is good,
> and sufficiently well-documented.
>
> It's then a question for the Ubuntu community as to why they decided to change
> things.

For posterity, I think it's worth more directly refuting the
misinformation that httpd in ubuntu is "redesigned" in any meaningful
way.

The changes are trivial to accommodate fitting into the distros own
package manager, filesystem layout, lifecycle, and other conventions.
It's no redesign, re-implementation, or anything like that.

This is usually only a minor speedbump, but combine with the traits of
https://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/ and you get this kind of
carelord drama where someone needs to justify their behavior by any
means necessary.