Re: Apache shows PHP code instead of executing it

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 08:45:50PM -0500, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 6:31 PM Ruben Safir <mrbrklyn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/6/21 4:01 PM, dino@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >
> > > This is because you did not tell apache to forward incoming HTTP
> > > requests to the PHP Engine.
> > > You can integrate Apache httpd with PHP in different ways, generally
> > > they are PHP-FPM (through fastcgi), mod_php (apache SAPI module) and CGI
> > > (discouraged because is very slow and does not scale well).
> >
> > Umm - use mod_php.  I know that the PHP website docs suggest otherwise,
> > but they are wrong.  It is the only way to integrate PHP into apache.
> > It might use more memory.  That is fine.  Memory is cheap.
> >
> > if you use Linux there is no problems and frankly threads and processes
> > both share light weight processes
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mpm.html
> > https://tldp.org/FAQ/Threads-FAQ/Types.html
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/ols/2002/ols2002-pages-330-337.pdf
> > https://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2
> > https://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php
> >

> > Packing the PHP instance in a threaded fastcgi process is exactly what
> > you don't want.  Integrating it into the Apache runtime prevents needing
> > to create an entire clone call and all subsequent fork() calls,
>
> Caveat: The above is not the conventional wisdom at all and
> misrepresents the tradeoffs.

Who knows, maybe he can read for himself.  For almost 30 years we've
dealt with this.  I'm sorry, but fastcgi sucks.  It sucked in 1995, and
it is still sucks.  I mean it beats CGI and its better an nothing on
Windows for some time, but that is it.

unless you have something really short you have to do.  compiling mod_php
directly into apache allows you to not have to run an external module or
program, which is a smaller finger print, and allows you to use apache
memormy managment directly.

Not only that, but you can cache results, which is a major advantage.

Regardless of the snippiness, I ACTUALLY posted the documentation with
the recomemdnations so he could read them for himself...you education,
so he could make up his mind.