RE: Re: Alternatives to SSI (server side includes)? [EXT]

I frames have their use – but usually to include content from another site (e.g. google maps, you tube etc) – or to embed dynamic content that either needs to be dynamically updated and can’t do this with AJAX or you are struggling with CSS clashes as the iframe is a different document. Not sure if it would really help here – I think I would look at AJAX first – depends on what you are trying to do.

There are alternative ways you can do this – but depends on your server architecture – if you are using mod_perl for instances you can look at an output filter to add the data, if you are using PSGI you may be able to wrap additional layers around your code {won’t gain you much but would avoid additional calls to cgi scripts} and add the content into the page after the page has been rendered. With mod_perl you can do useful stuff with pnotes, in other cases you may be able to use environment variables if you are running in the same process {not easy if you are doing two separate calls}

The system we use is set up to do two stage caching – one which caches the content of the page with placeholders which then get processed with additional variables.

From: Tom Browder <tom.browder@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 04 October 2020 11:44
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Re: Alternatives to SSI (server side includes)? [EXT]

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 04:38 Rob De Langhe <rob.de.langhe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I simply use (or dynamically construct) a page with iframes, in which each iframe gets loaded by a separate CGI results;

Hm, I've always thought that iframes were frowned upon in modern practice. I'll have to read up on them

Thanks, Rob.

Cheers,

-Tom

-- The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.