Alternatives to SSI (server side includes)?

I have been using server side includes since I started my websites on Apache about 10 years ago. The performance hit I'm getting is too high and I would like to get the same utility with something more modern and appropriate.

What I have been doing with SSI is executing some fairly involved db programs to track and update the visitor's who use the site, but the handling delay during page load is getting too large. I suspect I could speed them up but haven't looked into actual debugging yet.

Any suggestions for SSI replacement with a more asynchronous method?

Best regards,

-Tom