Re: Question about configure not answered in documentation

Hi Jeff,

Am 06.04.2019 um 00:19 schrieb Jeff Cauhape:
Well,

That almost worked.

I edited the config.layout file and copied <Layout Apache> to <Layout DETR>.
In <Layout DETR> I made the following changes only:

<Layout DETR>
     prefix:        /usr/local/apache2
     exec_prefix:   ${prefix}
     bindir:        ${exec_prefix}/bin
     sbindir:       ${exec_prefix}/bin
     libdir:        ${exec_prefix}/lib
     libexecdir:    ${exec_prefix}/modules
     mandir:        ${prefix}/man
     sysconfdir:    ${prefix}/conf
     datadir:       ${prefix}
     installbuilddir: ${datadir}/build
     errordir:      ${datadir}/error
     iconsdir:      ${datadir}/icons
     htdocsdir:     /var/www/html             <- Changed
     manualdir:     ${datadir}/manual
     cgidir:        /var/www/cgi-bin		<- Changed
     includedir:    ${prefix}/include
     localstatedir: ${prefix}
     runtimedir:    ${localstatedir}/logs
     logfiledir:    ${localstatedir}/logs
     proxycachedir: ${localstatedir}/proxy
</Layout>

I then ran config like this from a shell script:
#!/bin/bash

./configure --with-pcre=/usr/local/bin/pcre-config \
         --enable-layout=DETR \
         --prefix=/apps/apache_2.4.39 \
         --enable-proxy-html   \
         --enable-socache-shmcb \
         --enable-ssl

What happened is that the /var/www/html and /var/www/cgi-bin directories
got created, but in the httpd.conf file had this for the DocumentRoot and script locations:

DocumentRoot "/apps/apache_2.4.39/htdocs"
<Directory "/apps/apache_2.4.39/htdocs">

and

     ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/   "/apps/apache_2.4.39/cgi-bin/"

It looks like there is someplace where directives in config.layout are being ignored. Ideas?

n.b. After I reanthe config command, I ran a 'make clean' prior to the 'make' to build a
new server.

Thanks for giving it a try, I think you are already pretty close.

To check, whether the layout was successfully picked up you can do a

% grep cgidir config.log
% grep htdocsdir config.log

The file config.log is written during configure and should contain cgidir, exp_cgidir, rel_cgidir, htdocsdir, exp_htdocsdir and rel_htdocsdir.

The values shown by grep should match those given in the layout.

Since you wrote, that the new directories were created, I expect the grep commands to show the correct values, but it is a good first step for double-checking.

Next: the source config file docs/conf/httpd.conf.in contains the right placeholders, e.g.

DocumentRoot "@exp_htdocsdir@"
<Directory "@exp_htdocsdir@">
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "@exp_cgidir@/"
# "@exp_cgidir@" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
<Directory "@exp_cgidir@">

etc. so it must do replacements and you should get your configured values.

But: I vaguely remember, that "make install" will not overwrite config files previously installed to the same installation directory to prevent loosing older customization during updates (and "make clean" will not remove them). Could that be your problem? Is the file timestamp of conf/httpd.conf in the installation directory later than your layout changes or older? Does it work if you remove the whole old installation directory and run a new "make install"?

Regards,

Rainer