Re: Question about configure not answered in documentation

Hi Jeff,

Am 05.04.2019 um 20:55 schrieb Jeff Cauhape:
I am guessing the answer to my question is probably “no”, but I’m hoping

someone here has a silver bullet.

We are finally getting our act together and updating our Apache server instances.

Our chosen way to do this is as follows:

The /apps directory holds application software distributions, suche as

/apps/apache_2.4.25

/apps/apache_2.4.37

/apps/apache_2.4.39

/apps/apache       (this is a symbolic link to the current distribuiton)

We keep the DocumentRoot directory outside of the distribution tree because

when we want to update the server, we don’t want to have to copy the HTML

and cgi files.

Q: Is there some way to pass a parameter to configure to point to a directory

outside of the distribution tree?

For example, if I want our htdocs to go into /etc/html  by default?

I know, we can just go in and edit httpd.conf to do this, but it would be handy

to have it point to the right place as part of the build. I have checked

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/programs/configure.html

and I don’t see anything that indicates that.

Ideas?

In the source distribution there's a file config.layout. Each layout defined in the file has a name and consists of a list of paths to use.

You can add you own layout to that file, e.f. a layout named JEFF and then add the configure flag "--enable-layout=JEFF" when running configure.

See:

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/programs/configure.html

I'm not sure whether that suffices to put the manual into a custom directory but you should get close.

Regards,

Rainer