Re: Running Apache in Single Process Mode for Docker Container?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:17 PM, David Aronchick <aronchick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for all the help all! I dug into the apachectl and realized I was using the config file in sites-enabled, instead of the top level /etc/apache2/apache.conf file. The latter file installs all the modules in /mods-enabled, which is what was missing. (for the curious, I also had to copy all the env vars into a Dockerfile so that the binary executed with the right environment variables set)

So the net is, the following command now starts apache2 correctly:

/usr/sbin/apache2 -DFOREGROUND -DNO_DETACH -f /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

However, it still seems to spin up three threads, which I can't figure out why. Thanks again all!

Threads or processes? In either case why do you care given that the number is so low? If you're using the pre-fork MPM and it's actually starting three processes just tweak the relevant config parameters to meet your needs: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/prefork.html. If you're using one of the other threaded MPMs then tweak their settings to meet your needs. I've never attempted to configure apache to be single-threaded (meaning it can only respond to one request at a time) but I would be surprised if that were not possible. However, the result may be two, or even three, processes (pre-fork MPM) or two threads as the absolute minimum. That's because the apache architecture with respect to recognizing and dispatching incoming requests as well as dealing with housekeeping chores may mandate one or more processes or threads for activities other than handling a HTTP request.

--
Kurtis Rader