how to get httpd to use a proxy, cascading to a 2nd proxy ?

Hi all on users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Can httpd _use_ (not just _be_) a proxy, cascading to a 2nd proxy on a gate ?

(Not just the common case of httpd serving as a proxy for down stream clients,
 though I need that too on same httpd,  I already have that part working)

I want to get httpd on an internal host to serve as a proxy to a
USB tethered android (which it is already doing), + to pass requests
over ethernet LAN to a 2nd proxy on a LAN gateway.

This may seem unusual, here's the reason:
	An android is tethered (IP over USB) to a FreeBSD PC laptop,
	Orweb browser on Android allows use of a proxy, FreeBSD
	laptop runs apache 2.2.29 httpd (listening on the USB IP)
	with httpd proxy enabled & PC allows android to reach various httpd PCs
	on local LAN of the PC.

	I now want to tell the httpd on the PC interfacing the android,
	to pass android requests to a 2nd httpd running on the gateway host,
	to reach the internet.

Why ? Why dont I just configure the FreeBSD PC to bridge packets
from USB to LAN ethernet, & on to LAN gate ?
  - I may later want a firewall on the laptop ( to protect LAN from lots of
    untrusted android binaries, + android WLAN & SIM interfaces).
  - Pragmaticaly , I've tried & failed to create a bridge,
    I think the FreeBSD PC side is OK:
  	/etc/rc.conf gateway_enable="YES"  +
  	sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
    But Android rejects syntaxes such as
  	route add default 192.168.42.139
  	route add default gw 192.168.42.139
  	route add default gw 192.168.42.139 dev eth0
    & no manuals, & I'm new to Android (but familiar with Apache & FreeBSD)

If httpd wont use a proxy, maybe I'll try packet diversion
via FreeBSD's ipfw,  but I'm hoping Apache httpd can use a proxy ?

I've read
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/urlmapping.html#proxy
& contemplated nasty cludges eg:
	1st httpd on PC connected to android:
		<VirtualHost    *>
        	ServerName      play.google.com
		Redirect temp /store/apps http://gate/playgoogle
	2nd httpd on LAN gate:
		Redirect temp /playgoogle http://play.google.com/store/apps
But it would be Ugly & wouldnt work for other URLs, eg when android map apps
go other places to load maps etc.

Maybe there's some clever mapping with
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/
1st httpd to be receive request
	http://domain/url_under_domain
& emit
	http://gate/indirect_trigger/domain/url_under_domain
& 2nd=gate to redirect to
	http://domain/url_under_domain

Ideas / suggestions please ?

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
	Indent previous with "> ".	Reply Below as a play script.