Missing log entries?

  Hello all.
  I'm trying to analyze the behavior of visitors to my web site by
parsing my Apache access log, and it seems that the log is missing
some entries. For example, it's happened before that there's an entry
in the log for serving an image, with a referrer set to one of my HTML
pages, but there is no entry in the log for that HTML page (either
before or after the entry for the image loading) from any similar IP
address. I don't think that the headers I'm emitting would cause the
browser to cache that particular HTML page.
  Furthermore (and more to the point of why I'm concerned about this),
parsing the apache log indicates a small fraction (maybe 25%) of the
number of visitors indicated by a third party logging tool (in this
case clicky.com).
  Is there anything that could cause this? For example, does apache
not put an entry in the log if the connection is interrupted before
the entire HTML file is emitted?
  Thanks in advance for your help.
  -Andrew