Re: Apache Forward Proxy with App Server Integration.

Thanks Igor. I have provided comments inline.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Anil J <anilj.mailing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Jim,

Note that Proxy will also be communicating with Origin Server (OS) where the content is going to come from. At AS, I am just expecting to process the content received from OS. So in this context, I am looking at this AS as an extension of Proxy server.

Mind to explain what exactly this Origin Server is? Another apache or something else? On the same box with the proxy or a different one? What kind of application are we talking about here?

Origin server is my content server, some web site (e.g. www.youtube.com). All three servers I am talking about Proxy, OS and AS are physically different servers. Proxy and AS are co-located   The application in the context is say content filtering or content adaptation. The AS I am taking about is that server.

On other words, theoretically I can implement a module and put all the logic in the AS, but I can't do that. So I offloading the task to AS. So I need this module in between which will talk to the AS (HTTP Servlet on the Tomcat).

Once the message is processed by AS, I can then send it either to OS or to Client depending on the type of message. I am not sure  how does mod_proxy and mod_proxy_http works in this scenario.

What do you mean by message? Is it a http client request or something else? Maybe explaining in details what are you trying to build will make it possible for someone to give you more specific help.

Message is HTTP Request and Response messages. Typically, when I receive response from www.youtube.com containing a video, I want to transcode it to suite the requirements of client (e.g. mobile device) so that it can play it.

Now in this set up, I want to intercept the HTTP response, and send the content in the response message (e.g. video) to the AS for transcoding. After the video is transcoded, I will put it back to the Response message that is held at Proxy, and send it back to Client.

So I am tryig to understand, what interface I should be using between Proxy server and AS. Is there any module which I can use or do I have to write my own module to build the above behavior in Proxy.

Hope this is more clear.

I am new to the Apache HTTP architecture. So having all the basic doubts.